An extremely fine period village house within a mature garden with excellent amenities close at hand.
This delightful family home is understood to date back to the late 17th century, and, as its name implies, it was formerly a cottage which was substantially enlarged on the south side in 1850 by Alderman Binney, sometime Lord Mayor of Winchester. It is understood that Mr Binney left money to the Cathedral architect who, it is thought, was very influential in the design of the extension.
Constructed of whitened brick elevations, incorporating window shutters to two sides, beneath a tiled roof, with a single storey slate roofed extension at the rear, The Cottage has been well maintained by the present owners over the last 25 years. The comfortably proportioned and light and airy accommodation which is based on three floors with the added benefit of good cellarage, is ideally suited for family occupation, with good ceiling heights throughout.
The property is approached from the road through a pair of white ornamental wrought iron gates over a tarmacadam drive up to a parking and turning area, flanked on one side by a good size area of lawn with a number of specimen trees, shrubs, and a rose bed with a stone retaining wall. Along the southern boundary there is a mature conifer hedge. The tarmacadam drive continues round to a courtyard where there is further parking, a paved sitting out area approached off the kitchen, and an area of lawn which extends round the rear of the garage block to the pool area, containing a heated swimming pool with paved surround, providing good sitting out areas. There are well stocked shrub and flower borders. Along the rear of the outbuildings is a pergola with climbing roses.
Rendered and colour-washed elevations beneath a slate roof, which incorporates solar panels for the heating of the swimming pool.
A range of whitened brick beneath a slate roof comprising a workshop, store and outside WC.
Approximate Square Meters :